locally owned & operated
During the Roaring 20’s, the single screen movie theater was a place of novelty with a full marquee and neon lights. The Rialto Theater called itself the “brightest spot in the world” with “perfect ventilation: air changed every three minutes” and is thought to be the stepping stone upon which the 16th Street Mall really began. Founded in 1916, the Rialto Theater was an inexpensive treat for those suffering financial loss during the Great Depression. An evening in front of the silver screen cost just fifteen cents!
Fast-forward to today's Rialto Cafe, no longer at 1540 Curtis, and housed in the historic Tritch Building, also called the Joslins Building. The department store with lingerie and cosmetics counters were once here, where you sit today. The original movie house tragically burnt down, but the memory and the energy of the Rialto lives on with us.
We first opened our doors as the Rialto Cafe in 1998 on downtown Denver's busy 16th Street Mall. We're proud and honored to be supported by the community and thank everyone who have made our success possible throughout the years.